DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN reports latest backup pieces as Expired

Hybrid View

RMAN reports latest backup pieces as Expired

Hi, RMAN reports latest backup pieces as expired, I have configured the retention policy as follows:

RMAN>configure retention policy to recovery window of 30 days.

I take weekly full backup of database including archivelogs using rman. On month end I delete the archive logs from rman by giving the command to remove the previous one month old archivelogs from the disk.

RMAN>delete archivelog until time 'sysdate-30';

Kind help is highly appreciated,

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by habeebksa
    On month end I delete the archive logs from rman by giving the command to remove the previous one month old archivelogs from the disk.

RMAN>delete archivelog until time 'sysdate-30';
    This is only deleting your archivelogs and NOT your backupsets. How are you actually deleting your backupsets?

I know this may be an obvious question, but have you verified that the backupset exists on disk/tape?

Hi, I take backup on both disk and tape. The backup on disk is deleted by giving solaris operating system command (rm *) in the backup directory. The deletion is done weekly before taking full rman backup.

Iam maintaining 4 tapes to maintain one month rman backup. I delete the backup sets on disk due to less space. I can keep only 1 week backup set on my disk.

thanks for response,

I wouldn't recommend manually deleting the files from disk with rm. You can allow RMAN to remove the backups from disk while leaving the ones on tape.

Hi,
    But why RMAN is showing the backup files as Expired now. Previously everything was ok. I used to follow the same procedure, like deleting the backup files from the disk using OS command and then taking full Rman backup, everything was ok.

thanks,

Hi

Did somebody run crosscheck command ?

If youd elete from OS using Just os commands then rman would think that the backup set is still lying around where it was backed up .

what does the rc_backup_set view say ?

what does
    LIST BACKUP OF DATABASE
    COMPLETED BETWEEN SYSDATE and SYSDATE-30

return does it show your backup that you were searching for ?

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 08-21-2007 at 04:28 AM.