DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Java, Classpath, XML, Oracle

Hey all.

I was curious if anyone could help set up my environment for compiling Java with Oracle's XML classes, basically to import XML into database tables.

I'll work on it myself for a while but since I haven't done much java development (and the little I've done lets me know it can be a pain to set up the environment).

First off to use all the classes that come with Oracle, and the Normal JDK, what should my classpath be?

Java 1.1 is in /usr/java1.1
    Java 1.2 is in /usr/java1.2 (linked to /usr/java)

I assume I should just use the newer java, so /usr/java should be in there? Or /usr/java/lib?

Oracle has some Java stuff all over the place. Which of these, if any should be added to my classpath?

$ORACLE_HOME/javavm or $ORACLE_HOME/javavm/lib, or neither?
    $ORACLE_HOME/jar or $ORACLE_HOME/jar/vtchelp_us.jar
    $ORACLE_HOME/classes or some permutation of all the subdirectories/files underneath that directory?
    $ORACLE_HOME/jdbc or $ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib

From what I saw at [url]http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml/info/htdocs/otnwp/about_oracle_xml_products.htm[/url] , I will need at least the following classes

import oracle.xml.sql.dml.*;
    import java.sql.*;
    import oracle.jdbc.driver.*;
    import oracle.jdbc.*;
    import java.net.*;

Is that all covered or are more downloads required?

Many thanks to whoever can help :)

Found a bunch of stuff on Metalink which I will start to sort through, but comments are always appreciated ;)

I downloaded Oracle's xml parser and have been able to compile samples, but I still don't have the oracle.xml.sql.dml class that the Oracle/XML website programs are referring to. Anybody know where to get this, or what it comes with?

I suppose I could write a java program myself with just the parser to do the import, and would probably be good for me to do from a devloper standpoint since I don't know much Java, but I would still like to figure out how to do it like they say to do it.

THanks.

[Edited by pwoneill on 01-08-2001 at 05:40 PM]