DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ODBC connection from oracle db in UNIX to MS SQL Server db

ODBC connection from oracle db in UNIX to MS SQL Server db

Dear all,

I need to setup db link for odbc connection from Oracle in HP-Unix to MS SQL Server. Can anyone provide me steps on how to set up? I understand that this may require ODBC driver, but I am not sure what kind of driver I will need?

Thanks,
    Unna

an odbc driver would be useful

Quote Originally Posted by Unna
    Dear all,

I need to setup db link for odbc connection from Oracle in HP-Unix to MS SQL Server. Can anyone provide me steps on how to set up? I understand that this may require ODBC driver, but I am not sure what kind of driver I will need?

Thanks,
    Unna
    You have two options to do this:
    1. ODBC driver installed in HP-unix and using a dblink - requires a private vendor license for the driver.
    2. Transparent gateway which is installed in windows(SQL server) and using a dblink - which requires license from Oracle.

Browse Metalinks for the setup documents.

What are you planing to do over that DBLink?

1 Push data to SQL Server
    2 Pull data from SQL Server
    3 Use SQL Server as a lookup resource
    4 Insert/delete/update on SQL Server database in a transactional way

For starters you might want to check Metalink Doc #356177.1 "How to Install the Transparent Gateway for MS-SQL Server on UNIX" but, if you just want to move data around more easy-to-set/easy-to-use options are available.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I would like to find out what driver options that are available and if there is any open source driver out there available as well?

I will also check out the Transparent Gateway.

Thanks,
    Unna

According to my knowledge, all ODBC drivers for UNIX are commercial
    TG is quite expensive as well
    I had similar problem and I was thinking if I can install Oracle XE on windows and use ODBC to pull data to XE and then to pull them from XE on windows to EE on HP, but never did that. Used flat files at the end of the day

Regatds

unixodbc (home-page = http://www.unixodbc.org/ ) is an open project, under GPL, maybe he can try it...

regards,

Chiappa