DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: migration

I am trying to find out if it is possible to upgrade from oracle 7.2.3 and forms 3 up to oracle 8i, forms 6i.

Is it possible to go straight from one to the other or must I go to oracle 7.3.4 to oracle 8 to 8i.

forms 3 to 6i is this a big issue or would it be quicker getting all the forms rewritten with 6i?

At present the database is running on a sunE450 server with solaris 2.5.1 what is the minimum operating system I should upgrade to, or would oracle 8i run on this operating system?

the application itself is written in oracle SQL*forms 3 and SQl*report writer 1.1. there are no RPt files.

I am pretty sure you can migrate from 7.x to 8i. You can migrate using the Migration Assistant or use export/import. In either case, make sure you take a cold backup and export before starting the migration process. I dunno about the Forms part though. There won't be a problem as far as the OS is concerned.

Oracle only support migrate to 8i from a supported database and that is 7.3.4, I would recommended too, the last version is the most migrated, more tested, etc.
    If you have a lot of 3.0 Forms you can buy a tool to migrate them, like Kumaran or other in Oracle Magazine you can search.
    Ramon Caballero, DBA, rcaballe@yahoo.com