DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating Staging Database

I didn't see any "create a database in staging server" in your original post; you added it after I pointed your strategy wouldn't do it.

Duplicating a database from datafiles/archivelogs/controlfiles/... works all the time; I will love to see you working out your exp/imp strategy in a medium size database... lets say as small as 500Gig in size.

If you want to suggest a solution that has a size constraint, better to ask OP for the size of the database, then, if applies, suggest it. Simple isn't
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I cannot assume sizes and give solution for all options. Its the responsibility of the OP to get the solution by providing the data in the forum.

I give suggestions and clues by which the OP has to decide what is best for him/her.

you added it after I pointed your strategy wouldn't do it.
    Thanks for pointing, i expected this from the OP, are they paying attention. I dont like to spoon feed unless the baby asks.

Some one told me they copy the phy file from PROD DB by CA (without shutdown PROD DB coz 24*7 inv),and PLACE the phy file to staging database

and staging database using for backup and reporting purpose.

THEY r using HP-UX.

Its not clear,WHT the CA??,how to copy ?? ....anybody give the details information???

My eyes! my eyes!
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by liakat
    Some one told me they copy the phy file from PROD DB by CA (without shutdown PROD DB coz 24*7 inv),and PLACE the phy file to staging database

and staging database using for backup and reporting purpose.

THEY r using HP-UX.

Its not clear,WHT the CA??,how to copy ?? ....anybody give the details information???
    can you PLEASE post in legible English using real words - it makes your posts so hard to read

Will it be work with 24*7 DB?

Take hot backup of production database.

Copy datafiles to staging server.

Create controlfile script from production database.

Transfer archive logs to staging server.

Rename database by creating controlfile. The script is created from production database.

recover database.

Open DB with resetlogs.

Thanks Dave.,but iam too late to say.
    only after seeing your post, i read the thread second time.

Just a couple of minor changes... in the blue color

Quote Originally Posted by bhattnirav
    Will it be work with 24*7 DB?

Put production database in backup mode
    Force checkpoint

Copy datafiles to staging server.

Create controlfile script from production database.

Take production database out of backup mode

Transfer archive logs to staging server.

Rename database by creating controlfile. The script is created from production database like
    CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE SET DATABASE "STGDB" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG

recover database until cancel.

Open DB with resetlogs.
    Last edited by PAVB; 07-26-2007 at 08:16 AM.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Thanks PAVB