DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: central catalog management with RMAN

Question central catalog management with RMAN

I was asked whether it would be possible to install the "RMAN binaries" on a host (I'm not quite sure what this means, since RMAN was installed with Database 10g... are recovery catalog files typically called RMAN binaries?), and to install a central catalog as a repository for multiple databases on multiple servers.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone can explain what is meant by the first part ("RMAN binaries"), and give me a pointer to information or examples of the second part.

Thanks!

the oracle software is what you need is an rman repository

Hi,
    There is no common meaning of "RMAN Binaries" so I believe you will not show up as a dummy if you ask the person who told u that what he means by "RMAN Binaries"

Regards
    Boris

Bore

sorry,there is term "RMAN BINARIES" U ever heard "ORACLE BINARIES" aren't u???

Liakat,
    1) Since you know well what that means, could you please explain the poster what it means? It is veeery convenient to say "YES THERE IS SUCH TERM" Please explain what it means
    2) I will really appreciate if you post here the book and the page of the oracle documentation where this term is explained, so that I can fill that gap in my knowledge

Thanks

No, I can't say I ever heard "ORACLE BINARIES". I assume by that you mean Oracle Database's binary commands, such as emctl and netca, correct? It would then logically follow that by "RMAN BINARIES" you mean the rman command itself; is that a correct assumption? And if so, why would someone ask to have the "RMAN BINARIES" copied onto a host on which Oracle Database 10g has already been installed, since that installation implies that rman already exists there?

when you say binaries, they are the collection of software files like .dll, .exe,.... which are not human readable e.x spfile.

when you say Oracle binaries or Rman binaries, they are the executables files needed for the tool to function.

When some one asking you to copy rman.exe which is already available, then check are they the same executable version available with you.

Davey has pointed this before informally
    Last edited by dbasan; 07-24-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Bore

IM sorry ,if hurt u ,RMAN BINARIES is rman executable, load module, whatever it is called on your O/S,
    i search in net i didnt found any book, i found some page but not clearly describe wht is rman binaries.i will search again
    if i found i will post.

DBASAN thnx u for good explain

Oh thanks for the explanation what binary file means. Really useful. Will take notes. But I still wonder why in the whole internet there is no any good explanation of what "RMAN Binaries" means? Probably it is because there is not common meaning of that, so one can have in mind really the RMAN.exe, but other could probably mean "everything needed for RMAN to function" which is far more from RMAN.exe. So since Oracle do not uses that term in the documentation, nor in their articles or books, isn't it better to ask the person what he means by that?
    NOTE: I do not say that term RMAN Binaries is wrong, just say that this term is not widely accepted, so better ask the person what he means in such circumstances

@deesto
    Correct. What I am trying to say is that this guy, asking for RMAN binaries, probably has no idea what RMAN is and how it functions, so just ask him