DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Problem in session trace

Problem in session trace

When I am trying to trace session using dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session, trace file is not generated in udump.

This problem is only in case if I use dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session.

alter session set sql_trace=true is works file and trace file is generated in udump.

This problem is since last one days.

are you trying to trace an active session perhaps? you cannot do that using DBMS_SYSTEM.SET_SQL_TRACE_IN_SESSION
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

which user login are you using for both queries? Post the queries!

Do they have privileges granted?

Our application is devloped in Forms/Reports 6i.

I am trying to trace the user session who is running report.

I am doing same thing regularly but since last one day i am facing this problem.

you cannot trace the active session that way for other user sessions.

Have you ever used,

Code:
    dbms_system.set_ev

HTML Code:
    are you trying to trace an active session perhaps? you cannot do that using DBMS_SYSTEM.SET_SQL_TRACE_IN_SESSION
    This is not correct. You can take trace using that set_sql_trace_in_session. Make sure you are executing this as sys. Regarding set_ev: it's used for additional info like wait info. It's not for taking trace.
    http://www.perf-engg.com
    A performance engineering forum

Quote Originally Posted by dbasan
    you cannot trace the active session that way for other user sessions.
    I told him/her in the very first post but he/she decided not to listen
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks to everyone.

I have trace the another ACTIVE session (DEDICATED connection) using dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session.

The session for which trace file is not generated is SHARED connection.

The SHARED cannot be traced using dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_Session.

Quote Originally Posted by malay_biswal
    This is not correct. You can take trace using that set_sql_trace_in_session. Make sure you are executing this as sys. Regarding set_ev: it's used for additional info like wait info. It's not for taking trace.
    You can trace other sessions using "set_sql_trace_in_session" connecting as any user with sysdba, need not be "sys".

Also set_ev is used for extended statistics with trace when used with 10046which is not exclusively for wait info. When the level is set to 8, wait events are included with trace. 4 for including binds, and 12 for both 4 and 8.