DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Calculate exact size for each partition

Hybrid View

Calculate exact size for each partition

I used dba_segments and dba_extents. I found out segments shows by byte size. The number I came up with are way too small than the database backup size. For instance, I came up with about 70G and our database is about 400-450G. Where do my data go? Is there another better table can tell me my exact table size by partition? :(

How are you calculating your total space to be 400GB? Are you including TEMP and UNDO with that? Are you including any unallocated space?

DBA_SEGMENTS is the right view to use (sum of bytes group by blah), but this will tell you the total size of all the segments (unsuprisingly), not the total size of the database.
    Assistance is Futile...

How can find the exact size of the table?

I know the database is over 400G and mostly are the tables I am looking for but dba_extents only shows about 70G. What will be the other views or tables I can see the remaining size?

A good start would be to check DBA_FREE_SPACE.

Can you tell me how you are getting your figure of 400GB? I'm not saying it is wrong, but it may make a difference to my answer depending on where you got the answer from (was it a sum of the size of the datafiles for example - DBA_DATA_FILES/DBA_TEMP_FILES)?
    Assistance is Futile...

HTML Code:
    I know the database is over 400G and mostly are the tables I am looking for but dba_extents only shows about 70G. What will be the other views or tables I can see the remaining size?
    Here somebody wants to help you, that's why he asked how u got the number. It's no harm if u publish the SQL statement.

Coming back to ur question: could be database size(from Dba_data_files) is 400G, but used space(dba_segments) is pretty less. Again used space is not only for tables, there are indxes and other stuffs which also consume space.
    http://www.perf-engg.com
    A performance engineering forum