DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Partition Indexes ????

Partition Indexes ????

I had some partitioned tables by range each month and I used local partition index for these tables. For monthly, I dropped some old partitions then some local index of these tables were failed (unusable), I must be rebuilded them. But the time to rebuild index was very long and application can't access these index at rebuilding time.
    Have any way to drop old partition and appropriate indexes is not failed? How about Global Partition Indexes? Can I create indexes on each partition (EX : seperate 12 indexes for 12 partitions of months)?

Please help me.
    Thanks,
    Sinh
    Last edited by danghongsinh; 07-10-2007 at 05:28 AM.

Oracle is doing what it's supposed to do.

Oracle version?
    Size of the target table?
    Number of indexes?
    Could you define "very long"?
    Have you read documentation about partitioned tables/indexes?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

If these truly were local indexes then dropping the table partitions should have dropped the associated index partitions.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Sorry for delaying,

Currently, My table is SETTLE_CDR, partitioned on CREATE_TM column and I had a uniqe index on 2 columns (FILE_ID, SEQ_NO). I want to change this index to local uniqe index on partitions. As I know, we must add CREATE_TM to local uniqe index then we can create local uniqe index. But if do that then logical bussiness is wrong, beacause uniqe index only on 2 columns (FILE_ID, SEQ_NO), not for 3 columns (FILE_ID, SEQ_NO, CREATE_TM).

Have any way to create local uniqe index on only 2 columns (FILE_ID, SEQ_NO) ?
    I need your comments for my proplem.

Thanks,
    Sinh

Not that I know of.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE