DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing GridControl10g

Installing GridControl10g

I have been trying to install Grid Control on Linux Machines with oracle 10g and its like banging my head against a wall

can anyone please direct me to a good video tutorial, I have tried to use the Oracle documentation but would appreciate a video tutorial.

Thanks in advance,
    Arpan.

whats wrong with the docs - whats the problem?

It was not the docs

The problem was with Red Hat, it was an old verson and apparantly some of the packages needed to be upgraded, I installed CentOs and just followed the directions on the Oracle site and the installation worked just fine

Thanks for the reply though,
    Arpan.

the docs have a list of packages - just make sure they are installed and you shouldn't have a porblem, granted the dependencies can be a pain but up2date is your friend.

Are you getting a particular error?

MRCHRISPY,

No I was not getting any particular error but I failed a couple of the Product-Specific Prerequisite Checks. I just checked the box to user-verify them and the installation went fine untill the Configuration Assistants, and it just got stuck there.

I tried to get the packages but was unable to use up2date because I am working in a school lab and did not have access to the ----'installation key? product code?' . So i just downloaded CentOs and it was easy to update and FREE (I dont know why anyone would pay for RedHat). I also installed the agent on another machine and they are working beautifully

Arpan.

you pay for it because you want enterprise level software, you want support, you want a stable OS - all of those Centos wont give you. Also Oracle is not certified to run on that OS - so its a very bad choice for a production system

I am really glad you posted when you did. I am planning to install the 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.3) Patch Set 2 for Linux x86. After reading your response I looked at the Patch Set Notes and it says there that it requires one of the following OS's:
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES 3
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES 4
    Enterprise Linux 4
    Asianux 2.0
    Now, CentOs is supossed to be a clone of Red Hat and I wonder if I can install the patch on my CentOs machine or do I HAVE to pay for RedHat?

so... what you really don't want to do is to pay for it, am I right?

I'm wondering if you are paying for Oracle or if you just decided to install it... why don't you go to Metalink and open a S/R with Oracle? can you do that?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

dont use centos, bad idea as no-one will help you from oracle and you wont be able to install it without hacking os files.

centos and fedora both have their own kernel development which branches away fom main redhat - they are able to introduce something which might break oracle and you have no comeback - just use a supported os

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    so... what you really don't want to do is to pay for it, am I right?

I'm wondering if you are paying for Oracle or if you just decided to install it... why don't you go to Metalink and open a S/R with Oracle? can you do that?
    PAVB -- no I do not want to pay for RedHat-- you are right and as far as oracle goes I downloaded it from their website. I will pass on the metalink.