DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'exp' not recognized

'exp' not recognized

I have Oracle 9i client version installed on my machine and am not able to do exp/imp. I get " 'exp' is not recognized as an internal or external command" from my command prompt. I am running on Windows XP2002. Is there anything in the config I can change or do I have to re-install Oracle again.

Thanks.

Have'nt you installed the server version?

Can you locate exp.exe in bin?
    Last edited by dbasan; 07-03-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Smile 'exp' not recognized

it depends on the client you have installed, if it is light client then you wont be able to do it.

Then run the catexp.sql or catalog.sql script

Quote Originally Posted by dbasan
    Have'nt you installed the server version?

Can you locate exp.exe in bin?
    I have the client version installed and am not able to locate exp.exe. Will try installing the server version.

Cllient -standard- installation should be enough
    Look under ORACLE_HOME/bin
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

also try running the exp/imp by specifying the full path to the executable. if %ORACLE%\bin is no in your PATH then just tying exp/imp is not good enough

Quote Originally Posted by jagsy
    Please check the environment parameter path and add the path where imp or exp .exe is located then u can call from dos.This is the only cause for the issue.Right click on my computer -->go to advanced and check environemnt variables or
    cmd-->path.
    how can it be the only issue? He has already said it isnt installed!!

Is there anywhere I can download just the imp/exp utility or similar tools ? I have 9i client installed, but need the tools to export/import some data.

You can get the executable from another XP systems you have, provide they are the same Oracle version or higher.

If this is for your personal use then you can download from Oracle.

All the best!

I got the executabels from a different computer with the same Oracle and OS version as mine. When I try to run the exp, this is what I see : Any ideas ?

Code:
    H:\SR\deployment_scripts\SR_4_1>exp

Message 206 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS, facility=EXP: Release
    9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tue Jul 31 10:41:42 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracl

Invalid format of Export utility name

Verify that ORACLE_HOME is properly set

Export terminated unsuccessfully

EXP-00000: Message 0 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS, facility=EXP

H:\SR\deployment_scripts\SR_4_1>path
    PATH=C:\oracle\ora92\bin;C:\oracle\ora921\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.3.1\
    bin\;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.8\bin\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\Program Files
    \Java\jdk1.5.0_09\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:
    \Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\SecureCRT\;C:\Program Files\
    Rational\common;C:\Program Files\Rational\ClearCase\bin