DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you have two same SID running in one server?

Hybrid View

Wink Can you have two same SID running in one server?

Hi,

I have a situation where I have two same SID running in one Unix Server. But I have SID = ORATEST running in 9.2.0.1 and other SID= ORATEST running in 9.2.0.4 oracle homes. Would this be ok? or would Oracle get confused which one they need to go to? Actually 9.2.0.1 DB status is only "Instance Started" and 9.2.0.4 DB status is "Open". Please advice. Thanks.

if u have separate files for each installation of oracle, i believe you should be able to do that.

however, personally i would not recommend it since u'll need to be very alert about which instance u r directing ur commands/programs to.

why not just have separate instance names?

Quote Originally Posted by gaegoori
    Hi,

I have a situation where I have two same SID running in one Unix Server. But I have SID = ORATEST running in 9.2.0.1 and other SID= ORATEST running in 9.2.0.4 oracle homes. Would this be ok? or would Oracle get confused which one they need to go to? Actually 9.2.0.1 DB status is only "Instance Started" and 9.2.0.4 DB status is "Open". Please advice. Thanks.

One a single server you cannot have two databases running with the same SID.

You cannot have two databases running with the same SID=ORATEST.

regards
    Hrishy

Quote Originally Posted by gaegoori
    Would this be ok?
    Why not? it's kind of ugly but it's OK.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Since you are on a UNIX platform and have two different ORACLE_HOMEs, then you can actually have a database running in each home with the same SID.

However, I really wouldn't advise this configuration.

No u can't.
    That would mean u will have several processes with the same names.

If you are smart and can do the over kill in maintaining your instances then there is no reason to stop you.

Advice, have separate profiles would help you much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bore
    No u can't.
    That would mean u will have several processes with the same names.
    Yes you can.

I'm in agreement you are going to end with pmon, smon, etc processes having the same name but, you can have them if each one of them is owned by a different user. i.e.: oracle9201 owns a set of them and oracle9204 owns the other set.

Still ugly yet, it works.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

PAVB You are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    have them if each one of them is owned by a different user. i.e.: oracle9201 owns a set of them and oracle9204 owns the other set.
    It can even be the same owner, it's a different ORACLE_HOME that makes the difference.

Nevertheless, still not an ideal configuration.