DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Objects

Need help urgently...please

How does one export and later import in another d/b a schema containing object types. Is it possible to "take along" all the objects (attributes and methods) and the underlying tables etc... ? I am having all kinds of problems because some of the attributes in some objects ref other objects.

If I need to change an object's definition (say add an attribute) in my case I have to drop all the underlying tables first and then delete objects that are being refed before I can add an attribute.

Am I doing something wrong, or have I overlooked some thing.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Mohd.

Yes it should take all the objects along.You have to use EXP utility as follows:

exp username/passwd owner=xxxx consistant=y

some of the attributes in some objects ref other objects. That means you have to import those objects also if they are under different ownership.

Thanks for your response SREDDY:

The export seems to work to a point. i.e When you import it must create the object types first before the underlying tables (to hold the attributes) are created. Now when the object that has one of the attribute that is of ref type (pointing to another object type in the same schema) is created first before the object that is being referred to then it fails.

Q:
    How do I control the sequence in which the objects are created ?

This it seems is the point where everything else fails.
    Because now the methods and their bodies also fail.

This is an urgent issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    MSaeed

Do Onething. Just try exporting the database with rows=n and import it. All of your objects will be created in the first step.

Next step try exporting with rows=y and import it on to the database to which your objects got imported in the first step.

I guess this should work, as you are not exporting objects with data. All you are doing in the first step is just definitions/attributes of the objects.