DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle.exe crashes

Oracle.exe crashes

Hi,

Whenver i connect to my oracle server and execute any SQL script, the DB crashes ie., oracle.exe dies immediately. Alert log doesn't give any clue.

Normal sql script just runs fine, but only when we execute some scripts it is crashing

I have 10g db on windows 2003 (64 bit).
    Last edited by bang_dba; 06-25-2007 at 01:52 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The most enjoyable things in the world are either Immoral or too Expensive or otherwise Inaccessible anyway

Check for trace files in bdump. Sounds as though one of your background processes is kicking the bucket of death...

Quote Originally Posted by bang_dba
    Normal sql script just runs fine, but only when we execute some scripts it is crashing
    What script are you running when it dies?
    Assistance is Futile...

This is why people do not like running Oracle on Windows platform. Multi-process system such as Linux would be fine.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Quote Originally Posted by BV1963
    This is why people do not like running Oracle on Windows platform. Multi-process system such as Linux would be fine.
    thats just rubbish - many people run oracle on windows without issue - why do you think a process orientated system rather than a thread based one would solve this problem?

My recent experience with Windows 2003:

Reinstall Oracle DBControl, when unistalling the uninstaller script exited with an error, the problem is it was clenup files and directories and gave error while deleting.

Fine, let's delete the files manually, there was NO Way to delete the files, explorer.exe was locking the files, used several Sysinternals tool without success, had to reboot the production server to free the files.

I mean to reinstall a tool I have to reboot a server just seems unacceptable to me.

Thanks

On one hand I can assure you Windows Sysadmins level of training is pretty poor when compared with Unix Sysadmins level of training. Everybody can click a mouse so, everybody feels entitled to admin a Windows system, things go wrong then, blame Microsoft.

On the other hand, take a look at Windows Server 2008

Microsoft is going back to the command line for critical environments actually, command line commands were never de-activated and you can have today a deep control of your Windows systems using them rather than using the GUI.

What's new on Windows Server 2008 is the ability of installing an Windows O/S kernel with no GUI interface.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Agreed, it is rubbish! This is exactly the difference between multy-processes versus multi_threaded system. In multi-process environment even critical error in one of the process (granted it is not one of the background oracle processes) will not cause the entire instance to go down. I had a number of probem simular to this one dealing with Windows , one of them was when rman has a specific error the entire instance would go down!
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Quote Originally Posted by BV1963
    rubish - ran a fairly heavy 8i database on windows for nearly 3 years and never have a user process take out the DB.
    Last edited by mrchrispy; 06-29-2007 at 06:35 AM.