DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: i can't update

i can't update

i'm editing a module and there is this case where I added a new item in a certain block. obviously, since this database item is null, it does not show anything. but when i tried to insert something on it, it does not allow any insertion to take place. i've checked all the codes and there was no code for prohibiting inserts, not to mention that this is a new item so there aren't any code that may be stopping it.

what i did was i made it a non-db item but i still have another problem with allowing insertions but if I do that, how can I update that record if I made it a non-db? so basically, the problem is still with me being able to edit this item...i've been searching everything yet I don't really get why I can't do any insert at this certain item at all. does it have to do that it is a null item??

i've checked the palette anyway and i allowed inserts, updates and updates for null. but it just doesn't seem to work and I can't still edit the item.

any suggestions??
    SOMETIMES all we need are just SIMPLE answers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    be proud to be a filipino. be proud to be asian. be proud that your race is a maharlika.

now i know why. i've tried recreating that part to a new module (because of numerous procedures and items in the original module, it sorts things out) and look at what I've got. it's FRM-40743: This operation with no base table requires the ON LOCK triggers. I've tried looking for it on the web but i only got a handful of sites, most of them with languages i can't understand. does anybody here have any ideas how can I edit, even just a column? it's in my specs that the date part should be updateable and queirable. thanks.

be proud to be a filipino. be proud to be asian. be proud that your race is a maharlika.

a few hours later, i discovered what that former programmer did. for that block, he/she used this:

Database
    Query Data Source Type: FROM clause query
    Query Data Source Name: (Select... /*in short, he/she used a VERY long query*/

I don't know if I had it right but through that single link that I found (since most of them are in different languages) it somewhat said that it is a stored procedure in a sense that it provided steps for me to follow. but then the steps can truly change the whole program and I don't know if it is really the best thing for me to do.

cmon guys...please help... i am so new to oracle yet the assignments I get are so advanced...

perhaps you would be better suited asking in an oracle forms forum instead of a database one

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    perhaps you would be better suited asking in an oracle forms forum instead of a database one
    but it says in the description of oracle development that:

Oracle Database Development including SQL, PL/SQL, Developer and Designer

so it still fits right?

obviously not because no-one answers your questions

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    obviously not because no-one answers your questions
    i don't mind... i just like the fact that i'm being active on this forum (in a sense...ahaha) and even if no one actually replies to my threads, i eventually solve my own problems. it just takes way longer on my own but at least...

have a nice day davey...