DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Managing client side tnsnames.ora

I could have sworn I remembered a post about this before but I'm searching and nothing is coming back so I figured I would start a new discussion.

What do you all do to keep client machines tnsnames.ora updated? I'm in a small development environment where right now it's just 2 people, but soon will be about 10. All technical so there's not much of a problem of me just sending them updates to the file, but it would be easier if I could just modify one local copy.

Is there harm in making client machines tnsnames.ora a shortcut to a file on a network drive? (Of course providing the network drive is available).

Any other good ideas?

I don't think there's any harm in placing the file on a n/w drive, just make sure that only the right people have access to it, OR, keep a local copy on your desktop and email it to them whenever there is a change to it. Hope this helps.

NT or Unix?

Unix: nfs mount a directory where you keep a common tnsnames.ora file
    NT: I think there is a registry key where you can set TNS_ADMIN that you can point to a common network directory. Check out [url]http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/network.817/a76933/troubles.htm#440345[/url]
    Jeff Hunter

The clients are all NT, if it were Unix it would be easier. Thanks for the info guys.

We use names. but, in one of my friends shop they keep common files that are dynamic in nature on a file server and access files from there.