DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clean Up Root Directory on Solaris

Clean Up Root Directory on Solaris

We have a Solaris box and the root directory is at 98%. I know that /tmp and the user home directories are under root but is there another way to figure what else is taking up space? A unix command?

Thanks

Use this command
    df -k
    http://www.perf-engg.com
    A performance engineering forum

cd /
    du -ks *

see which directories are taking up all the space - also /tmp should no way be under root

You can also use find / -size +nc (where n is a value in bytes) to show you the largest files. Are there any core files (find / -name core) which you can delete or archive off?

As davey says, /tmp should not be under root. Neither should /var, but in my experience it sometimes is. /var/adm contains files such as utmpx and wtmpx which can grow to an inordinate size if not properly managed. These files can either be zeroed using cat /dev/null > utmpx or archived if you consider it necessary.

It's also unusual to have user home directories under /, they're usually part of the /export/home filesystem on Solaris. Have any of your users been doing silly things like inadvertantly creating massive reports in their home directory?

Hope this helps.
    If I have to choose between two evils, I always like to choose the one I haven't tried yet.