DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle dismounting

Unhappy Oracle dismounting

Hey has anyone ever experienced a problem with Oracle where the database instance will dismount after a period of time when there isn't any activity???

I have never experienced this type of issue before. If there isn't any activity in the database it appears to dismount and disconnect the user.

I can easily perform a startup mount and then open the database using SYS to resume whatever I was doing but I'd like to know how to prevent this from happening. Is there some setting that I may be overlooking that's causing this problem?

Points to consider: I am running ORACLE 10G SP2 on Windows Vista Ultimate with all Service Packs installed.

Any help or advice is extremely appreciated

thx

anything on the alert log?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Yeah, it looks like theres something quirky happening with SMON.

Errors in file c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\orcvista\bdump\orcvista_smon_3436.trc:
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [25027], [0], [16776974], [], [], [], [], []

Tue Jun 05 13:35:58 2007
    Non-fatal internal error happenned while SMON was doing logging scn->time mapping.
    SMON encountered 1 out of maximum 100 non-fatal internal errors.
    Tue Jun 05 13:36:02 2007
    Completed: alter database open
    Tue Jun 05 13:36:03 2007
    db_recovery_file_dest_size of 2048 MB is 0.00% used. This is a
    user-specified limit on the amount of space that will be used by this
    database for recovery-related files, and does not reflect the amount of
    space available in the underlying filesystem or ASM diskgroup.
    Tue Jun 05 13:41:02 2007
    Errors in file c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\orcvista\bdump\orcvista_smon_3436.trc:
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [25027], [0], [16776974], [], [], [], [], []

Tue Jun 05 13:41:03 2007
    Non-fatal internal error happenned while SMON was doing logging scn->time mapping.
    SMON encountered 2 out of maximum 100 non-fatal internal errors.
    Tue Jun 05 13:46:04 2007

Tue Jun 05 13:46:05 2007
    SMON encountered 3 out of maximum 100 non-fatal internal errors.

Can you make any possible suggestions? I tried viewing the trace file referenced in the alert log but most of the info is so cryptic I can't make heads or tails of it. Is there any tool that I could use to make better use of the trace file other than viewing the data in notepad???

thx

Call Oracle support/SR.

Header of the trace file would probably tell what actions invoked ora-00600 error.

I agree with your recommendation and after doing a bit of research the first bracket of the header would likely target the issue; but this isn't a production system and I don't have a support contract with Oracle hence my reason for using the forum.

Is there not any other method of targeting the problem or is Oracle the only keepers of the mystical code of errors?

I find it a bit difficult to accept that we're provided with user dumps, alert logs and cryptic trace files to simply pay for further support of a problem though it does make a nice angle for generating revenue.

All I'm asking is if anyone has seen the problem before or may have an unction of a clue why its happening, I would appreciate the tip. I can resolve the issue if I know what it is I'm looking for.

thx.

Go to Metalink... there is a tool troubleshoot ORA-600 errors
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Ok, thx. Is there a name for this tool so I'll know what I'm looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by mindScape
    Ok, thx. Is there a name for this tool so I'll know what I'm looking for?
    Just initiate a TAR -now a Service Request and as soon as you identify your issue as an ORA-600 error Metalink will point you to the tool.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov