DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: help in finding the problem. H E L P !!!

Hello: I am new to oracle, and I am trying to maintain some Oralce procedures written here. The problem I am having is that:

1) I created a view on 2 tables. This works fine.
    2) when I do a select * from the view where rownum <2 just to see if the view works, the select runs for more than 3 to 4 hours and still does not return any values.

Can some guide me as to what to look for please.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gopal

How large are the tables? Have you tried just running the query with a wrapper for the rownum? Eg

select * from (select for view) where rownum < 2;

What is the statement you used to create the view?

Possibly you didn't join the tables correctly and it's doing a cartesian product. If the tables are very large it could take that long.

Can you do select count(*) from view; just to see how many records does it have ?
    Sonali

I'm not sure, but if he can't run the SELECT for ROWNUM < 2, then doing a full blown SELECT is unlikely to work as well.

It sounds like your view is terribly non-optimized :) and what you really need help with is fixing your view.

In order to do *that*, we will need the actual SELECT statement behind the view, and some stats on the tables involved wouldn't hurt either.

- Chris

Yeah I figured it wouldn't make a difference but throwing out things to try :)