DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sqlplus plus program exit control

Quote Originally Posted by ixion
    Like most things it just depends. As others above said, PL/sql is a language, that can be compiled and executed on the back end DB server (if saved and compiled).
    Im curious, If pl/sql are compiled why can not i see executables objects(.exe)
    of such a kind in the database

what? are you serioualy asking that as a question???

I honestly think it is a lost case

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    what? are you serioualy asking that as a question???
    Didnt you know that if u compile a program u get an executable output.
    Its called binary machine language and tamper proof, thats why it runs faster, unlike pl/sql which is written in english words and still has to be translated into a machine
    language and you can tamper it anytime. Oh boy....r u prentending to be naive
    Last edited by jennifer2007; 06-06-2007 at 06:54 AM.

It turns out those supposed EXE are stored inside the database

What we are suprised is that

1. You work with Oracle and you dont have a clue about PL/SQL, at least the basic culture
    2. You work with Oracle and your are asking everyday so basic questions
    3. Your laziness for not finding things out yourself, there are many things which can be found in the docs with so much more detailed explanation than a forum can give to you
    Last edited by pando; 06-06-2007 at 07:29 AM.

This has to be some kind of a social experiment, somebody is testing us LOL
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by pando
    It turns out those supposed EXE are stored inside the database

What we are suprised is that

1. You work with Oracle and you dont have a clue about PL/SQL, at least the basic culture
    2. You work with Oracle and your are asking everyday so basic questions
    3. Your laziness for not founding things out yourself, there are many things which can be found in the docs with so much more detailed explanation than a forum can give to you
    ok fine....what data dictionary should is select to get those exe dear
    1. I know PL/SQL but since im a dba i dont have much knowledge of deep
    programming. if I can finish a job with sqlplus in 1 minute even w/o controls
    why should i use PL/SQL that runs 2 hrs just having this control thing.
    2. Its not basic but its just being the essence. I dont have luxury of time
    to understand these "theories" behind oracle processes, as long as I can finish my job.
    3. Well I admit that but if i can do more works(output) and save time why not? Anyways there are lots of helpful and patient guys here like u dear
    not tired of debating with me
    Last edited by jennifer2007; 06-06-2007 at 07:40 AM.

Can we vote her out of the galaxy? LOL
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer2007
    Im curious, If pl/sql are compiled why can not i see executables objects(.exe)
    of such a kind in the database
    I think the answer has been covered above.

No you may not tamper with the PL/SQL "executable". Oracle stores its PL/SQL in a byte code format for execution. This is the standard approach. Oralcle version 9 and greater allows you to "compile" the pl/sql into binary format by using a systems native C compiler.

1. Please learn how to use the search features and read the documentation. 99% of the time you'll get faster and more accurate answers than from a forum.

2. How can one produce "quality" work without understanding the basic concepts?
    More work != Better

3. Learn PL/SQL. It's there for your benefit as a DBA to be able to do DBA tasks.

4. Please don't call me "dear". Only my wife gets to call me that.

OKI, let me try showing how smart I am as well :-)
    Since Oracle 10g, one can compile PL/SQL and I mean COMPILE to machine dependent code. The PL/SQL gets translated to C code and then the embedded in the OS C compiler is used to produce shared library. Later, when u call the PL/SQL, the shared object gets loaded and executed. Here u can see even the shared objects, located at the directory pointed with the parameter
    plsql_native_library_dir
    One can control if the PL/SQL code is going to be compiled or interpreted using the
    plsql_code_type parameter (at session lever or system level) and I think u can control that at statement level as well

So... there are the executables Jenn :-D