DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: unable to connect to oracle from sqlplus

Post updated d threa: unable to connect to oracle from sqlplus : iam unable to poset reply

Hi,

I have installed oracle 10g on RHEL 4, I got the following error message at the end of installation process cannot find file "%filename%". I ignore the message and it completed. when i connect to oracle from sqlplus it doesnot show any error it returens to the dollar prompt again.. I have tried uninstalling oracle and installed again and i got the same error.. connecting throu sqlplus also showed the same error message.. pls help ..

thanks,
    srikanth

I am ot able to pst reply to this thread pls advise.. I have the follwoing as a reply to your qustions..
    Yes, I have followed as per the install guidelines.. for a short recap i did the following.. if i have missed anything please advise..

1) created two groups oinstall and dba... and assigned the two groups to oracle user..
    2) I created teh directories(/oraeng/app/product/10.2.0) in a separate drive for oracle which has 7GB space..
    3) I have set the values of shmmax, shmmin, file-size, ip version, local port numbers in rc5.d file
    4) I have set rmem,wmem max and min values in /etc/sysconf.ctl.. and the permission of the file is changed to 777 after that i rebooted the system..
    5) I logged in as oracle user and set the path, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, PATH in .bash_profile and executed the profile, finally installd the software from CD.. ( the files were not zipped)
    6) I got OUI and started the normal process of installation.. where i encountered the error which i mentioned in the first part of the thread..
    7) After completeion of the installation i ran the script root.sh in root login

and when i tried to connect to the database using sqlplus it dint show me any error instead it displayed the $ prompt, pls advise of any mistakes i have done..
    Last edited by srikanthan; 05-31-2007 at 06:47 AM.

provide an exmaple of what you are doing

I logged in as oracle user (with which i installed the software) and i tried to connect using sqlplus "/as sysdba". i dint showed me any error message. i got the $ prompt again. i checked for sqlplus by givin 'which sqlplus' the result was ~/bin/sqlplus (~ = /oraeng/app/product/10.2.0 = $ORACLE_HOME) I set the path in .bash_profile and ran the command . .bash_profile

Hi

Do a strace sqlplus or truss sqlplus and paste the logout here

regards
    Hrishy

r u sure u have read and follow the installation guide? Especially have u installed all the required RHEL libraries as per install guide?

Regards

unable to connect to oracle from sqlplus

Yes, I have followed as per the install guidelines.. for a short recap i did the following.. if i have missed anything please advise..

1) created two groups oinstall and dba... and assigned the two groups to oracle user..
    2) I created teh directories(/oraeng/app/product/10.2.0) in a separate drive for oracle which has 7GB space..
    3) I have set the values of shmmax, shmmin, file-size, ip version, local port numbers in rc5.d file
    4) I have set rmem,wmem max and min values in /etc/sysconf.ctl.. and the permission of the file is changed to 777 after that i rebooted the system..
    5) I logged in as oracle user and set the path, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, PATH in .bash_profile and executed the profile, finally installd the software from CD.. ( the files were not zipped)
    6) I got OUI and started the normal process of installation.. where i encountered the error which i mentioned in the first part of the thread..
    7) After completeion of the installation i ran the script root.sh in root login

and when i tried to connect to the database using sqlplus it dint show me any error instead it displayed the $ prompt, pls advise of any mistakes i have done..

provide a full copy and paste from the screen of what you are doing