DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Datafile resize

Datafile resize

Hi all,

In my ProductionDB i have truncated table which contails 4.7GB.The table present in ISHDATA tablespace with datafiles
    '/mnt/db/oracle/oradata/ISPRO/ishdata01.dbf' upto 10 files are there in Ishdata tablespace.

After truncating i tried to resize all the 10 datafiles, to show free space at OS level.(MD wants to see at OS level.)

So i tried as ..
    SQL> alter database datafile '/mnt/db/oracle/oradata/ISPRO20/ishdata01.dbf' resize 1900m;
    alter database datafile '/mnt/db/oracle/oradata/ISPRO20/ishdata01.dbf' resize 1900m
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-03297: file contains used data beyond requested RESIZE value

SQL> alter database datafile '/mnt/db/oracle/oradata/ISPRO20/ishdata10.dbf' resize 4000m;
    alter database datafile '/mnt/db/oracle/oradata/ISPRO20/ishdata10.dbf' resize 4000m
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-03297: file contains used data beyond requested RESIZE value

spaces at datafiles reduces at different level ie., for one datafile 250MB released another 1800MB released.

So,please help me on this regard.

Thanks in advance.

you have other tables which are at the end of the file so the datafiles cant be resized

Query DBA_EXTENTS to find the segments at the high end of the data files.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

So..,If i want to rezise i have to drop entire tablespace and recreate with new size.So i have to take backup of that tablespace(ishdata).

ok., In no way i can play in production.

Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by ams-jamali
    So..,If i want to rezise i have to drop entire tablespace and recreate with new size.
    Nope.
    You have to move offending objects to a different place, resize tablespace, move objects back.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

PAVB, isn't it easyer, after the objects have been moved, just to drop the empty tablespace?
    OK, say you do not have to drop it, but generally yes, that's the easyest way

Resizing tablespace... can't follow.

I can try as

alter tablespace [tbs] coalesce;

then i can resize datafile (am i right...)

Yes, I belive that is what PAVB means

Yes, then resize datafile. Sorry, I'd a senior moment.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

It doesn't help me to release even 1GB.

I found free space using dba_data_files & dba_extents it shows only 154MB.
    So instead of resizing i left that..,

Thanks to all.