DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-06508 and Terminal Services

Unhappy ORA-06508 and Terminal Services

Hello everybody.

I have an application written in Oracle Developer 6i and runnig under Windows 2000 Terminal Server. At random times all users get ORA-06508 (could not find program unit being called) messages at their forms and the System Administrator has to kill every ifrun60.exe process in order to continue working. Other users that run the application at their PCs do not experience the same problem.

Environment is
    Windows 2000 Terminal server SP4
    Oracle Database 9.2.0.1.0
    Oracle developer 6i

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance.
    George

Are you seeing ORA-6508 in your alert log?

No?... ok, then the most likely reason is a Terminal Server connectivity issue rather than any Oracle issue.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for replying. When this problem appears then even when I start a new instance of the application the message ORA-06508 appears again and I have to kill all existing applications. After that everything works fine, so I don't think that this is a connectivity issye.

I think that it has to do with the mechanism that Developer 6i uses to lock PL/SQL libraries (.plx files), because the procedure that cannot be found belongs to an external PL/SQL library (not in the Form) and somehow some instance of the application locks the library and does not permit all the other instances to access it.

so... how that fits with the fact just Terminal Server sessions are affected?... as far as I remember your post states people working on PCs do not experience the issue.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.