DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New DBA question

Block Request Time Error/Alert

Im new to Oracle. We are running RAC 10g and I have been seeing the following error in EM last 2 days:
    "Global Cache Average Current Block Request Time: 2.3456"
    The number at the end is always different, sometimes high sometimes low. I did some research and it seemed to be pointing to connectivity. The odd thing is, this is a new production server and no one is accessing it yet. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul
    Last edited by pam61; 05-14-2007 at 07:58 AM.

This is not related to connectivity
    Metric shows average time --measured in hundredths of a second, to get a current block.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Oh, thats good to know. Thanks for the response. Is there something I can do to stop this alert?

The most likely reason is excessive chatting over the interconnect, you know, nodes talking to each other to get a data block.

You might want to check this theory by looking at "waits" in OEM and either confirm or find out what the actual issue is.

Also, look for documentation about "Global Cache". This is something new and you really want to understand how Oracle does it.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks

Thanks for the help! I'll read up on it.

Paul