DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Does my company need to get out of the ice age and upgrade their server?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indeed!

1 50.00%
  • Naw, if it's not broken don't fix it.

1 50.00%

Thread: Database startup error

Hybrid View

Wink Database startup error

My company runs Oracle8i on Windows Server 2000. Two weeks ago some of the remote users could not log in, and this was fixed by someone restarting the server. Today one of the managers said that when she came in this morning she had to start the database and when she did she received the following error: ORA-01092: Oracle instance terminated. Disconnection forced. May7, 12:00AM.
    I need to ensure that this doesn't keep happening, because when it happens on a Friday there is no one in the office to restart the server for remote users.

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated
    Last edited by wtw1ster; 05-07-2007 at 05:33 PM.

look in the database alert log (and find a dba, and learn how to post in the right forum)

"look in the database alert log (and find a dba, and learn how to post in the right forum)"

First off I'm sorry. Second I came here so that we don't have to get in touch with a dba. Thirdly you could help direct me to the correct spot in the forum, as you are senior advisor. I thought that this was the right place to post else I would not have.

I looked in the alert_db.lot and it is empty. Does anyone have a full file path for the needed log/logs?
    Last edited by wtw1ster; 05-07-2007 at 05:34 PM.

The bdump and cdump directories are database parameters. Look at v$parameter to see where they point, just be aware that you need to query with lower case letters for that view. Do you do a cold backup of the database? If so are you getting errors restarting the database? Is someone doing a shutdown abort? Is the backup job doing a hot backup, but locking the datafiles? If you do a hot backup you need to put each tablespace into backup mode before you back up its datafiles. This is especially important on Windows machines. How do you do your backups?

alert.log file will be located in bdump directory.
    Your path will be like this eracle\admin\\bdump\alert.log
    or use find folders to locate that file.use as alert*.log, if you know the sid name give that, else use as i specified here.
    am sure that u have opened wrong log file because it should contain atleast last shutdown information and it will not be empty.

post us the output of that alert log file.

"Second I came here so that we don't have to get in touch with a dba."
    That one kills :-)

The company may not like to pay overtime for the DBA who works on Sat/Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by tamilselvan
    The company may not like to pay overtime for the DBA who works on Sat/Sun.

DBA's get overtime?!?!?!?!?!

DBA's get overtime?!?!?!?!?!
    No lunch is free.