DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migrate data from 9i to 10G

Migrate data from 9i to 10G

What is the best way to migrate data from 9i -10g and what are the
    general problems ? during the data migration.

Many Thanks,

There are questions to ask?

Which os?
    DB size?
    downtime?

best way?

Export on 9i
    Import on 10g
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by castlerock
    What is the best way to migrate data from 9i -10g and what are the
    general problems?
    "best way"
    This depends on your environment.
    "general problems"
    Only the ones you find through testing the migration.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Thanks guys,

Operation system is Solaris and some databases are 150- 200GB and one database is almost a 800 GB.

How to Migrate data on 800 GB DB . This DB is running on archive log mode.

Many Thanks,

Thanks guys,

Operation system is Solaris and some databases are 150- 200GB and one database is almost a 800 GB.

Many Thanks,
    Are you migrating to a new server? Are you using locally managed tablespaces? Are you happy with the way the data is being allocated for all of the tables and indexes? Do you want to change the default block size?

If you don't want to change the default block size, are using locally managed tablespaces including the system tablespace, and are generally happy with how storage is allocated then you should do a full backup of the database and migrate in place. If you have some real need to export your database and import elsewhere, then do so.

Otherwise install Oracle 10g in its own directory, apply all of the patches, backup the database, shutdown the database, startup the database from the new Oracle home in migration mode and run the scripts to migrate the database. Waiting for 800GB of data to export and import could take a whole weekend.

You might want to set up a database on a another server to test your migration.

Yea, export/import of 800gb would not be my first choice. Especially if you've got any LOB's!

How much downtime can you afford? What does your I/O system look like? Are you considering a move to ASM?
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

exp/imp for even 150g db, no thanks. If you're staying on the same platform and you don't really know what you are doing, just use dbua. Don't try to get fancy with ASM or any of the new features during upgrade, you will have plenty to fix with just a straight upgrade. If all your dbs are running on the same system, I'd install a new $OH and upgrade them one at a time thereby limiting the panic come Monday morning.
    Jeff Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by marist89
    exp/imp for even 150g db, no thanks.
    Why not?

We just migrated several 250 Gig DBs from 9i to 10g RAC resorting to exp/imp compressing and decompressing on the fly and, it went just fine.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    Why not?
    Too much time and risk involved.
    Jeff Hunter