DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rupd$ in materialized view logs

Quote Originally Posted by reydp
    delete it, it means trouble.
    No offence but following that line of thinking I'm tempted to delete all my Oracle deployments, happens I got a lot of troubles using Oracle
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

delete it, it means trouble.
    I can't delete it because it doesn't have any contents eversince it was
    created do u mean drop the table dear?
    I am curioous also because in all my readings about advance replication in
    10g, I didnt come across topics about this rupd$...maybe its obsolete now?

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    No offence but following that line of thinking I'm tempted to delete all my Oracle deployments, happens I got a lot of troubles using Oracle
    hmmnn... I think papa rey just shared some exceptional problems negligible
    ones compared to lots of benefits oracle gives.

Troubles using oracle can be attributed to the user himself or his
    knowhow about the product

So Jenn... when in a previous thread reydp told you...

it's see.
    in your SQL PLUS prompt type:
    help INDEX
    then don't forget to press ENTER key
    ...you actually got the "don't forget to press ENTER key" part of it as a literally legitimate advice, huh? LOL

Now it all comes together to me
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

lol...i didnt understand what papa rey means by that dear my brain just picked-up the useful info here and disregard otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    I'm cool.
    You're right. I stand corrected for that. No problem.
    Maybe it's because I have used MatViews eversince it was first introduced but not lately. And that my line of thinking when this thread was open tends to recall only the obnoxious scenario rather than usual one.

But if you are to challenge if I really know the subject matter, you might try to search my archive posts here that tackles MatViews problem and issues. Long before you become a member of this forum.

Or, maybe have an exchange of ideas with the topic for examples:
    "MAT VIEWS - best for DW/DM but never in OLTP", how's that.

Nice try anyway, for pursuading Jen to hate me..... she's still nice to me..sorry
    ---------------

Jenn is allways nice :-)
    off topic
    Jenn I see you use lots of replications. Have you tought about using streams?

Cheers

Yes dear...I read a little about it...it seems they served the same purpose
    though...but as of now I have to choose the one I had studied earlier first
    because my boss is pressuring me to implement this replication thing. He even
    ask me to show the demo on how it is going to work. He got a lot
    of questions like how much time did it take to replicate an image in a
    single row We have to interconnect/replicate 30 branches, good
    thing the WAN is not stable yet, so I gives me a little buffer time
    So as of now I don't have the luxury of time to learn more about "streams"

Do you think it is better that replication dear? Can u tell me whats the
    difference between the two?

Thanksss

But if you are to challenge if I really know the subject matter...
    I'm not Rey, I know you are good and, you have nothing to prove to me.

Nice try anyway, for pursuading Jen to hate me..... she's still nice to me..sorry
    Wasn't trying to do that. It's clear you have Jen eating from your hand.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

About the streams, it is relatively new technology ( since 8.1.7) but Oracle says it will replace replication.
    The idea is,
    1) You have a queue, where messages can be queued
    2) You have a process, called capture process, which captures the changes in the source database ( up to you to set it up what to capture) and generates messages. Then queues these messages into a queue ( implemented as a DB table in fact). The message contains the captured change
    3) You have a propagator process, which can propagate messages between different queues ( including remote queues, over db link)
    4) You have apply process, which dequeues changes and applies that locally

Why it is better - much more flexible.
    Can configure rules what to apply and what not to,
    Can transform the message, so that a change, captured at one local table to be applied to another destination table - different owner, different name, different colums even.
    Can consuruct your own messages, using an API and queue them, so that later on they gets applied by the apply process
    It is nice to know streams, since they are used not only for replication but virtually anywhere - as an integration mechanism ( exrernal systems queuing XML messages with data and hence entering your system, document management, the enrerprise manager even uses streams to queue the server generated alerts)

That's what I know :-)
    Not much but exiting enough, isn't it?