DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: process become slower

It is extremely remote that a binary re-install is the solution. The fact that the OP is doing an export/import is the giveaway that db is getting a nice clean re-org.

I think the memory allocation is lop sided:
    the poster gives this config:
    -----------------------------------------
    Total Memory of W2k server is 2GB

Memory for oracle:
    Share Pool 1024 MB
    Buffer Cache 150 MB
    Large Pool 122 MB
    Java Pool 50 MB
    ------------------------------
    I'll probably be flamed for this recommendation:
    1. Why is the Shared pool so large?
    2. Are you using Java inside the DB? if no then remove the java pool..
    You buffer cache is 1/10 you shared pool and 1/20th your overall system memory.
    3. Why is the Large Pool so big?
    ---- My suggestions as a baseline for memory -----------
    Buffer Cache: 800 MB
    Shared Pool: 200 MB
    Java Pool: 0 (but you may need some just to start up).
    Large Pool: 80 MB

Totally concur with Davey that stats pack analysis is the only way to identify and solve the issue at hand. (stats pack will probably indicate a poor hit ratio and likely a large amount of lock contention due to the size of the shared pool).
    Last edited by ixion; 04-24-2007 at 12:24 PM.

You got the answer on the first person that posted. Trace it and see where the time is being spent. Or as Mr. XM says, run statspack and see what's going on.

I feel a little more secure in my job today because of this thread.
    Jeff Hunter

Hi Jeff,
    I hope this is not for me...... ... because if it's for me then I need to re-evaluate my career in oracle... since it's from Jeff's comment(the super-G)
    ----------------------------------------
    I feel a little more secure in my job today because of this thread.
    ----------------------------------------

I based my answer from the posters db configuration info. And I even calculate using only the minimum values.
    If he configured it correctly based on what its system's requirement, then I'm very positive that it will still points to MEMORY issue.

for ixion reply, just like me, you only give your assumption.

why have a large shared pool? Maybe the application is huge
    why have a java pool and at that size? Maybe the application used Java with lots of java components
    why have a small db buffer cache? Maybe the application only need minimal config for minimal dat/output requirements.
    why is the large pool so big? Maybe the system is configured as SHARED so it needs large pool.

If the poster post the factual info then I still point it to Memory issues. Again all of this are also assumption but with higher chances.

BTW,
    I refer the O.S. overheads, aside from Services running but not needed in the system, etc., are like /WINNT in drive C and VirtualMem in drive C also, or Oracle Binaries in drive C, and worst datafiles are in drive C also. inappropriate mirroring/raid configs.
    Oracle overheads are like sessions that are abnormally terminated by end-users, being WINDOWZ-having memory leaks during releasing of resources.

-----------------
    Aside from running statspack,
    May I suggest to the user, to take a good look also the log for the LISTENER and SQLNET. And the Memory consumption thru Task manager during the time when he claim that the server is getting slower.

Regards.
    ---------------

Hi Jeff,
    I hope this is not for me...... .
    Rey, why you think it's for you? ;-)

Talking

come on boris I'm sure you have picked this up.
    I just want to make sure that at least I'm in the NORM of being a DBAwtzawatza.

Coz if this this guys(like Jeff) will give me something to think twice. Then I'll be very upset, and may made me to get off from this role...
    ---------------