DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how to upgrade oracle client

how to upgrade oracle client

Hi All,
    How to upgrade oracle client from 9.2.0.1.0 to 9.2.0.6 ?

Many Thanks,

download the .6 patchset from metalink and install it

Dave,
    Downloaded p3948480_9206_TRU64.zip . This 9.2.0.6 patchset is for the server. Can i use the same for upgrade the client? or i have to download a different one. Pls correct me if i am wrong. This is the first time i am installing patchset.

Appreciate your help

Many Thanks,

same one

My database server is running on 9.2.0.6 . If i copy teh catpatch.sql from /rdbms/admin to the machine where 9.2.0.1 client is installed and try to run. By just doing this will upgrade the client to 9.2.0.6 or i have to follow the steps ( runinstaller . etc). Pls advice

Many Thanks,

You have to follow the steps documentation provided with the patch like
    first time install

its just the software, no scripts

Man, read carefully and understand what you are doing, to avoid mess.
    catpach is necessary to apply the changes to the data dictionary, necessary for some fixes in the patchset
    To be more detailed, when you apply a patchset on the database, the installer replaces some executables with new ones, where bugs are fixed. Also replaces scripts, whatever it needs.
    Some of the fixes however, requires changes in the data dictionary as well ( for example there is a field in the DD, which is varchar2(30) but ti fix some issue, the field is changed to varchar2(45) or additional field is added, or additional tables or a view definition is changed... whatever)
    So the newly installed binaries will not work with the old DD, and here catpatch comes.
    Now, on the client, you do not have a database, just a binaries to be replaced, so generally you run the installer, it recognizes that you have only client installed and replaces what it needs. Catpatch has nothing to deal wit that
    BE CAREFUL!!!
    if the server machine and the clients are different platforms ( say unix/linux server and Windows clients) you cannot apply the server patchset to the clients. You will need to download a patchset for the client OS.
    Also full suport to Jeny, read and follow STEP BY STEP the patch applying instruction

Regards

oh boy im impressed you typed lots/long explanations with patience