DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 100GB database rehost and upgrade

100GB database rehost and upgrade

DBAs,

One client need to rehost&upgrade a 100 GB 8.7.0.4 to 10g release 2 from Solaris 7 32-bit
    To Solaris 9 64-bit

We now have two options-
    1. Install the new 1og release 2 and do the export and import.
    But this 100 GB might take a long time. The shutdown window is tight.
    2. Install 8i and 10g first and then copy the old to the new 8i and then upgrade to 10g release 2.

If choose the export/import, do the whole db export/import or do schema by schema.
    I am afraid that the whole db import will override some 1og system objects.

Any good suggesting about how to do this task will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lily

If possible I'll go with the exp/imp option, schema by schema which will allow you to be importing some schemas in 10g while still exporting other in 8i

We just did exactly that with a 200 Gig database, unfortunatelly one of the schemas was 190 Gig in size.

Total exp time: 6 hours
    Total imp time: 7 hours

What we did was to exp/compress and to uncompress/imp on the fly in order to save disk space and specially network traffic during FTP.

During Import set target database in noarchivelog mode
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for sharing the experience.

personally I go for export/import schema by schme

Another question--
    When I tried t odownload the 10g release 2 for 54bit solaris.
    I found out there are 3 :

Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Solaris Operating System (x86-64)
    Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Solaris Operating System (SPARC) (64-bit)

Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Solaris Operating System (x86)

Our versin is solaris 9, which one I should dowload?

Thanks,

Lily

What is your server construct of SPARC or Intel/Itanium/zeon(x86)?

Based on this you have to download, check with your system admin or you can login to the server and see for yourself

Last one is 32 bit forget it as you do not require.

Thank you very much.

I wonder if replication can help here so the updates can be applied immediately while the source db is still active and be ready for cut-over to the new system

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer2007
    I wonder if replication can help here so the updates can be applied immediately while the source db is still active and be ready for cut-over to the new system
    what a complete waste of time effort and money to set that up just for migrating to another platform

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer2007
    Jenn... you might end adding a problem instead of expediting the solution
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.