DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Error accessing OEM in 10g.

i see....do they plan to abolish this gui based OEM cleint dear?

Quote Originally Posted by pando
    you are supposed to use database control in 10g, the Web administration interface

if you want to administer more than one database you need to have a look at Grid Control

all the old fancy packs such as diagnostics, tuning works in web
    OH BOOOOY...its so hard to set-up this db grid control thing, especially when
    we have mixtures of DBs (8i,9i,10g)

you are supposed to use database control in 10g, the Web administration interface
    Yeah I know, & it's very good - but why give us OEM (even with its missing features) if we're supposed to be using DBConsole?

OK, so earlier versions of Oracle don't support DBConsole which is why we still have OEM, but then the next question is (again!) why release 10g OEM with less functionality than the previous versions? Even if I use it to access my 9i databases I still can't see the locks.

hmnnn..maybe they want us to go back to primitive ways to do the command
    line sql scripts using v$locks, this will make u a better DBA i guess...not
    a lazy DBA
    Last edited by jennifer2007; 04-18-2007 at 07:25 AM.

I'm wondering what part of "DBConsole and OEM Grid Control are two different products for two different needs" you are not getting.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I'm not getting any of it! I'm referring to the Client OEM, not Grid Control.

My point is that from a day to day admin point of view I need to view all my databases (both 9i & 10g), and in particular, because of a 'feature' of our 3rd party software, I need to manage locks. I can do this using the 9i client version of OEM, but not the 10g version. Yes, I do use DBConsole for the 10g databases, however it would be much easier using Client OEM, which is the point that I (and jennifer2007) am trying to make.

If you need or want to manage all your databases (both 9i and 10g) in a single interface you have to go for OEM Grid Control, that's the way, that's the future and -to my surprise, is a very good tool.

I don't get this previous post that says OEM does not show "locks" anymore... go to Targets/Databases/Performance/Locks
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

PAVB, we're still talking about 2 different beast here - I'm talking about Enterprise Manager Console, part of the Oracle Client package. From what you're saying I need Grid Console anyway so that's something else to do this weekend!

ok fine dear....just inform me when u successfully install it....as of now im
    still loaded with other priorities, this give me no time to learn this grid thing.
    Actually i browse the docs b4 but it seems hard to do and scary so i shelved it for a while.

To install 10g EM grid control, I have downloaded 10g grid control for 10.2.0.3 and grid control agent for 10.2.0.3. Do I need grid control agent install for 10g EM to work?

Ø grid control 10.2.0.3 zip file has 3731596 and 3822442 folders. Which should I install first? There is no proper doc explaining the install procedure.

Ø When I start with 3822442 which has setup.exe, it errors out.

Ø I tried with grid control agent which too errors out. I am struck here, can anyone pass on the installation procedures/steps in brief.

Thanks