DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Database Recovery

Exclamation Database Recovery

If we have on a backup server:

All the datafiles from 1 day old hot backup.
    1 day old Backup control file from -
    ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO 'MyPath'
    All the archive logs and redo logs

In case full db server loss, How can we do full recovery (or upto last archive log available which was created after backup control file).

-D

You sure can . It would not know which archied log is the last one, so you probably will have to do 'recover dayabase using backup controlfile until cancel'. I guess this will only work if there were no changes to the physical layout .
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Quote Originally Posted by BV1963
    You sure can . It would not know which archied log is the last one, so you probably will have to do 'recover dayabase using backup controlfile until cancel'. I guess this will only work if there were no changes to the physical layout .
    If the backup control file is older than the latest archive logs available, how will the 'recover database using backup controlfile until cancel' will know of SCN # or something to ask for any achivelog generated after the control file.

Exactly what will be on the screen after 'recover database using backup controlfile until cancel' is run.... Will it ask for the archive log file name.

-D

you have to know what the next in the sequence is, if its the wrong one it will tell you (yes it asks you)

Exactly what will be on the screen after 'recover database using backup controlfile until cancel' is run.... Will it ask for the archive log file name.
    When recovery is done using backup controlfile, it wil continuously increment the log archive sequence and ask for the corresponding archive,this will go on until you cancel it.
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks...

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Oracle DBA

But if there are Structural changes - addition of tablespace/datafile. In that case how the hotbackup and backup controlfile handle that with 'recover database using backup controlfile until cancel'.

Obviosly new datafile was created after the backup control file and we have lost that file (server loss) and there is no backup of that file. So what happens now when we run 'recover database using backup controlfile until cancel' - it will ask ofr that file as we apply archive files - and we don't have it.

-D

as the archive log contains information about the datafile and it's coressponding dmls, it will try to apply them and fail with "unable to lock datafile/unable to obtain file status" error. At that time create the file with "alter database create datafile ......." option and then start applying the rest of the logs.

Oracle DBA

Simply_DBA, have you tested that with 10g? I belive 10g will authomatically create the file

Regards
    Boris

Quote Originally Posted by Bore
    Simply_DBA, have you tested that with 10g? I belive 10g will authomatically create the file

Regards
    Boris
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...2.htm#i1006194
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...htm#sthref1824
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Quote Originally Posted by Bore

Regards
    Boris
    No but i will do it and see.thanks for the info.

Oracle DBA