DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding the Migration of standalone 9i to 10g RAC

Question regarding the Migration of standalone 9i to 10g RAC

Hi guys,

My company is planning to migrate one of 9i standalone DB to the new 10g RAC cluster. Due to the size of the standalone DB is big (120+ Gig) and large outage window is not possible. Hope you can guide and advise me the proper approache.

If I use IMP/EXP, it is not possible as it may take more than one or two days to finish the migration.

Do you guys know any proper procedure for this migration?

I have the following idea, but not sure whether it is possible.

1. Build the 10g RAC (CRS, Software and NEW RAC DB) on the clusters first.
    2. cold backup the 9i DB to the new Cluster hosts.
    3. Upgrade the cloned 9i DB to 10g standalone DB first (with Diff ORACLE_HOME location)
    4. Use expdp and impdp to do schema TRANSPORTABLE TABLESPACE to the newly build 10g RAC.

If you have any best suggestions, please advise. Thank You so much.

Regards,
    vbeer

I just migrated standalone 9i to RAC 10g 130 Gig database using exp/imp in 14 hours, end to end.

Having your RAC environment already created...

1- Export/Gzip (on-the-fly) full, rows=n 9i database
    2- Export/Gzip (on-the-fly) operational schema, rows=y
    3- FTP *.gz files
    4- Import/Gunzip (on-the-fly) FULL dump
    5- Disable 10g constraints in operational schema
    6- Import/Gunzip (on-the-fly) operational schema, skip=y
    7- Gather fresh stats
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Are you using the same storage for your 10g solution (SAN), or are the storage arrays directly connected to the servers?
    Assistance is Futile...

Yes, Will be using SAN (NAS)
    Last edited by vbeer; 03-29-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Hi PAVB,

Due to the DB is OLTP DB, 14 hours outage is too much for Management point of view. I am still wondering whether any quicker method for the migration. I hope it would be within 8 hrs.

Best Regards,
    Vbeer

Quote Originally Posted by vbeer
    Yes, Will be using SAN (NAS)
    So if you are using the same storage for your standalone 9i database and your 10g RAC, why are you moving data? Just pre-install your binaries, ensure you pass passed all the prerequisites (such as having a SYSAUX tablesapce) and upgrade...
    Assistance is Futile...

...are you suggesting reusing 9i datafiles -as they are, with 10g binaries?

Not gonna work... either you upgrade 9i to 10g or you exp from 9i and imp into 10g
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

course it will work, its how you upgrade database, during an upgrade the new software opens the old files and upgrades them

Interesting.
    I was under the impression dbua requires target 9i database to be already started -in Ora9i- during upgrade to 10g
    Am I wrong?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

you are wrong - anyway - dont have to use dbua