DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Running Statspacke with 2 instances on same system

Running Statspacke with 2 instances on same system

Is anyone familiar with statspack?

I have 2 separate ORACLE instances running on the same system. I installed the statspack using the connect / as sysdba login.

When I login using the perfstat account the program defaults to one of the 2 instances to provide performance information. How can I get information for the other instance?

I figured if I specify one of the instances during the login and run the install again like connect /@instance2 as sysdba, I could have the program installed separately for each of the instances but this doesn't work because I get disconnected from the session during the installation if an instance name is specified in the connection string.

If anyone is familiar with running the program on a system with 2 separate instances on the same machine that offer me any advice I'd sure appreciate the help.

As far as I know statspack is not a multi-environment tool meaning, you have to install it and use it in each one of the instances you want to monitor.

Here is a nice overview about installation...
    http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_statspac...tion_steps.htm
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for the reply PAVB.

So when you say "you have to install it and use it in each one of the instances you want to monitor." I take it that you are meaning that it's only intended to be used on 1 instance per system?

Cuz as I was saying, attempting to install the pack being logged in to a specified instance as opposed to / as sysdba doesn't work.

If this is the case, I suppose I can create another way to monitor the system performance per instance via the many performance views e.g. V$SGA, V$BUFFER_POOL_STATISTICS and etc.

btw, thank you for the link.

There is no reason not to have a statspack installation in each one of your two instances.
    Statspack is nothing but a bunch of tables and code deployed in the specific instance you want to monitor.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

it seemes like blind leading deaf kind of exchange
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

yeah, kinda.......

Wink

Hi,
    Install stats pack from the server where the instance is running. Export sid one by one and connect / as sysdba without giving connect string. During installation perfstat user created and package tried to connect using perfstat simply by perfstat/passwd. It doesnt use connect string. Ofcourse u can edit package and hardcode connect string to user perfstat.

Thumbs up

Thanks Kamkan!

You are the MAN.....
    Your solution was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much.