DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Problems installing ODBC/instant client

Problems installing ODBC/instant client

I have been scouring the net for help, I realise this is a low level question for this forum and apologise.

I have downloaded the 10g instant client and odbc driver so that I can create an ODBC connection for a third party app to connect to an OracleXE database. I believe this is what I need to install.

I have unzipped the ODBC driver and instant client to the same directory (C:\Oracle). I have amended the PATH statement and run the install ODBC exe from the unzipped DIR.

When I try to create an ODBC connection I get the message "The Oracle client and network components were not found. The components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle version 7.3 or greater client software installation. You will be unable to use this driver until these components have been installed"

Can someone point out the obvious error I must have made or point me in the direction of any further config changes I need to make? Information appears to be sketchy or else I am going blind in my old age and I cant find it...

I regret I have almost zero Oracle knowledge and just need to set up an ODBC connection for a third party app for test purposes.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

I doubt you have not installed oracle and the components to make an ODBC connection.

Check the below:

1) Can you see the network folder under c:\oracle?
    2) Can you see the oracle drivers in the data sources > driver tab?
    3) confirm from OUI installed products you have installed the network components and drivers.
    "What is past is PROLOGUE"

Thanks for the reply.

There was no network folder in the instant client dir. I have created network\admin and copied the tnsnames.ora file from the oracle server and created the TNS_ADMIN system variable to that path.

I was under the impression (probably mistakenly) that all I need to install to obtain ODBC access was the
    instant client (instantclient-basic-win32-10.2.0.3-20061115.zip (34,469,920 bytes))

and

the ODBC driver package (instantclient-odbc-win32-10.2.0.3-20061115.zip (722,911 bytes)) from the Oracle Instant Client Downloads section.

The only Oracle driver I can currently see is the Microsoft one for Oracle, thats what gives me the error.

Add/remove programs does not show oracle driver and network components installed..

Assuming I am missing an install set can you point me in the direction of the download I will need?

Many thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by PhilP
    Thanks for the reply.

There was no network folder in the instant client dir. I have created network\admin and copied the tnsnames.ora file from the oracle server and created the TNS_ADMIN system variable to that path.
    That would alone not work, you need the network components installed.

Add/remove programs does not show oracle driver and network components installed..
    you cannot see there, look into ODBC data source administrator under control panel> administrative tools> Data sources>drivers tab

Assuming I am missing an install set can you point me in the direction of the download I will need?
    Choose the edition you need and do a client install choosing the network components and the ODBC drivers for your case.
    "What is past is PROLOGUE"