DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ‘DBW0: terminating instance due to error 472’.

‘DBW0: terminating instance due to error 472’.

My windows db (9i) was terminated due to 472. I was able to restart the db but I have no idea why yet. Can anyone tell me what this message means? :(

what command have you executed?
    Are you trying to create database manually?
    ---------------

Hai,
    Do not use "SEGMENT SPACE MANAGEMENT AUTO" option when manually creating a database.

Quote Originally Posted by sfgaldba
    My windows db (9i) was terminated due to 472. I was able to restart the db but I have no idea why yet. Can anyone tell me what this message means? :(
    Google out for more info.

Also check the alert log and trace files for the errors.
    "What is past is PROLOGUE"

tvrdileep why not?
    What's wrong with that?

Thaks

xxxxxx-oracle/xxxxxx02 [3]: oerr ORA 472
    00472, 00000, "PMON process terminated with error"
    // *Cause: The process cleanup process died
    // *Action: Warm start instance
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

what a useless post, its what generated along with that error that is useful

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    what a useless post, its what generated along with that error that is useful
    Davey -- You have to read a little more carefully what the initial post asks for... the guy wants to know "what the message means"
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

PAVB:

Other than 00472, 00000, "PMON process terminated with error", is there anything else ? I have no trace file generated. No error in the event viewer. I have to identify the cause but still fuzzy about what could go wrong. The only thing happen prior to the shutdown was someone was running several processes through Business Objects and Toad. Not sure if anything hang or not but the person who was running was the one called.

Please check Oracle's Alert Log around your ORA-00472 looking for other errors, also check if Oracle generated a Trace file around the time the instance crashed.

If some additional information is available chances are t was reported in the form of a Trace file.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov