DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Any advice for a future dba, about getting started.

Question Any advice for a future dba, about getting started.

Hi, I'm finishing my undergraduate degree in Computer Science. I am than going to go to graduate school and getting a masters in computer systems management, with an actually emphasis in database technology. During that year or so of graduate school I'm gonna try to intern a few days a week with a DBA (if possible).

My question is when I do get my master's what is it best to start as? (i.e systems administrator, programmer, etc). I know there are very little entry level DBA jobs, I believe its more of career you enter after years of experience.

Starting as Oracle PL/SQL developer is best and then moving onto Junior DBA or whichever comes first..
    -- Dilip

Go and get a certification like Oracle OCA
    -- That will show other people you are serious about it
    -- That will give you a glimpse about what are you going to get into.
    Download into your home computer Oracle software and build your own lab
    Practice
    Practice
    Practice
    Good Luck!
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Start out as either a SQL developer or sy, administrator stemand move into DBA from there. SQL developer is probably an easier path into DBA as you'll already be working with Oracle.