DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Deleting Oracle10g database manually & kill oracle background processes on Solaris

Deleting Oracle10g database manually & kill oracle background processes on Solaris

Hello,

(1) I want to delete an Oracle 10g database manually on Sun Solaris 5.9 platform. Can you please let me know what are the steps in details for deleting it?

(2) How to Kill oracle background processes for a particular database on Solaris machine ?
    My situation is that somebody here has deleted the database files without shutting down the Database Instance. So oracle background processes for that Database are still running on the machine. I am not able to stop the processes of that database even after rebooting the machine and not able to kill them. Can you please suggest on this?

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Best Regards,
    Jigish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacky014u
    Hello,

My situation is that somebody here has deleted the database files without shutting down the Database Instance. So oracle background processes for that Database are still running on the machine. I am not able to stop the processes of that database even after rebooting the machine and not able to kill them.
    Thanks a lot in advance,
    Best Regards,
    Jigish.

That is simply NOT possible!

--I thought that a file being used by an Oracle Instance or any other program
    can't be deleted because of some file locking mechanism.

your O.S. allow you to delete Oracle Database files while the database is up and running? what happen to file locking/file management of your O.S.?
    ---------------

I'm also digging the idea of processes that are persistent across a cold reboot of a server Could it be that they simply restarted after you rebooted? That sounds far more sensible. What date do you get when you ps -ef|grep pmon?
    Assistance is Futile...

ahh.ok.

Maybe the instance is still there in oratab and set to Y, or autostarted with run Commands(rc).
    ---------------