DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Database size calculations

Question

how do i estimate the size of the database when i know the schema and the data inflow

If you know how many object will exist in a schema and how many schemas you will have in a database, you can calculate by initial and next extent for a tablespace as well as pctincrease.
    For example you will have 100 tables in a schema and you will have 6 main users (therefore 6 schemas). If your initial extent is 1 Meg and next is 1 Meg (just an example) and pctincrease 0, you will get the following:
    each table will take at least 1 Meg and will need another 1 Meg to create a second extent. So Each table is already 2Megs, correct? You will have 100 tables per schema so each schema, i.e. tablespace will need at least one datafile of 200Megs. If you have 6 user schemas and you want to assign them to six different tablespaces, multiply 200 into 6 = 1200 Megs. That will be you data portion. Remember, you initial and next extent will depend on how long of a data insert might be. It does not have to be 1Meg, 50K is just fine. You will also need to add about 300M for System tablespace in 8i and whatever you want for TEMP, rollbacksegment and indexes tablespace.
    Those are rough calculations.
    Alla
    Alla S. Pfauntsch
    Oracle DBA
    ========================================
    "Life is what happens while you are planning something else".