DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MSCS, Shared Disk, Home Directory

MSCS, Shared Disk, Home Directory

I have installed Oracle on Node1, and created not only the Database on the Shared Disk, but also pointed the Home Directory to the same Shared Disk.

Now that I am about to install Oracle on Node2, it dawned on me that having the Home Directory on the Shared Disk from Node1 may be a problem??

Can I point Node2's Home directory to the same location as Node1? Do I install Node2's Home directory to the local Disk on said Node? Do I need to move Node1's Home directory?

I just can't seem to find the answer to this specific scenario in any Documentation or Forums. As a side Note, I intend to use Fail Safe (to which may or may not be implied by what I just described).

Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1
    Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 Standard Edition 1
    Shared Disks are formated NTFS

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by rob808; 01-25-2007 at 06:33 PM.

what version of Oracle are you using. what OS, what filesystem?

shared oracle_homes are generally allowed - depends what your requirements are though and how you want things set up

Ahh, Sorry... forgot some of the important stuff.

Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1
    Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 Standard Edition 1
    Shared Disks are formated NTFS

Our Application makes use of a Single Oracle Database. The two clustered Servers are dedicated Oracle Servers. All we want to accomplish (using Fail Safe) is when the Primary server drops for whatever reason, the failover server takes over.

~Rob