DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: EMC BCV with RMAN Incrementals

EMC BCV with RMAN Incrementals

Hi everyone!
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience using EMC BCV's with RMAN backups... including RMAN incrementals.

We have an application that runs that has limited restartability. If it fails, they have to go back to a previous time. (No RMAN right now). So what happens now is they take a complete BCV at several intervals... each to their own location (so that we can restore to any point).

I know that RMAN can be used with BCV, but I'm not sure how it works with incrementals. My assumption would be that you split the mirrors and take an RMAN backup of the BCV copy. Then take incrementals of the PRODUCTION db at specified times. Then if a restore was needed, the RMAN restore would use the incr0 from the BCV copy and then use the incrementals from production.

I've read the document "Exploiting EMC Timefinder and Oracle Recovery Manager" but it doesn't talk much about incrementals, just says you can use them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Jodie

[My assumption would be that you split the mirrors and take an RMAN backup of the BCV copy. Then take incrementals of the PRODUCTION db at specified times.]

you are right, after the mirrors are split, you mount them to the media server and run the RMAN backup from there. We have similar setup but We always take level 0 backup (This causes no resource overheads to the Db server as bkp is running on the media server instead). I will get back on the incremental backup.
    Milind
    -----------------------------
    www.milinds.com
    My Private World on the Web !