DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Message file not found

Message file not found

Hi all,

I have just recently taken over looking after a database. Upon checking the alert log i found several of these messages:

ORA-0nnnn: Message nnnnn not found; no message file for product=RDBMS, facility=ORA; arguments: [18]

where nnnn is the ora-error number.

None of these errors seem to be serious but why is the message file not found? Is it because the installation was not done correctly or the ORACLE_HOME paths have been screwed up?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    chucks

Cool

Any of these two:

"because the installation was not done correctly or the ORACLE_HOME paths have been screwed up"

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

How do fix it if it is a corrupt installation? At the mo i cant see any hinderance to the database. The only problem seems to be the Oracle alert log messages are not translated ?

Thanks,
    Chucks

Cool

First check that the ORA_NLS33 environment parameter is set correctly.

HINT: Default location is: $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

ORA_NLS33 does not exist in 10g; it's ORA_NLS10. Also, take a look at Metalink note 372824.1. Some of the more recent critical patch updates can cause this and you need to build oraus.msb from oraus.msg to fix it.