DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Enterprise ed to standard ed

Enterprise ed to standard ed

We are migrating our database that is an enterprise edition right now, to a new machine and we want to use the standard edition on the new machine
    Because of oracle license price, also because we are not using any feature from enterprise edition. Anyway, long story.

The original plan was to install standard on the new machine, copy the database , etc..

But to my surprise, the source database is an enterprise version.

Anyone has an idea how i can do the switch?
    Am i obligated to do manual import of user?
    Or i drop the enterprise manager owners on the source database first, then do the switch? I think i only have Oracle Data Mining that is an enterprise edition feature on this database.

SQL> select comp_id, comp_name, version from dba_registry;

COMP_ID COMP_NAME VERSION
    --------------- ----------------------------------- ------------------------------
    SDO Spatial 10.2.0.1.0
    ORDIM Oracle interMedia 10.2.0.1.0
    EM Oracle Enterprise Manager 10.2.0.1.0
    XDB Oracle XML Database 10.2.0.1.0
    CONTEXT Oracle Text 10.2.0.1.0
    EXF Oracle Expression Filter 10.2.0.1.0
    RUL Oracle Rules Manager 10.2.0.1.0
    OWM Oracle Workspace Manager 10.2.0.1.0
    ODM Oracle Data Mining 10.2.0.1.0
    CATALOG Oracle Database Catalog Views 10.2.0.1.0
    CATPROC Oracle Database Packages and Types 10.2.0.1.0
    JAVAVM JServer JAVA Virtual Machine 10.2.0.1.0
    XML Oracle XDK 10.2.0.1.0
    CATJAVA Oracle Database Java Packages 10.2.0.1.0

Or anyone has method to propose?

Ugh. There's so many things missing in SE, it's barely usable for something under about 100G. Goodbye online index rebuilds. Goodbye multiple rman channels. Yuck. One of the biggest mistakes I've ever done.

Anyway, I've been through the process. You can install the SE Software and rerun the catalog scripts to get your SE version. There is a metalink DOC that outlines the process, though I can't put my browser on it right now.
    Jeff Hunter

Im the new dba where i work.
    The fisrt thing that was put in my "to do list" was to check our oracle licenses and choose if needed more standard or more enterprise edition.

We have one 80G database.
    And 2 other 100G databases.
    The rest are all small test and developement database.
    No more than 20 gig each.

If i keep enterprise edition without choosing enterprise option for the 3 big databases, what befinits il have with enterprise edition vs the standard?

We want to monitor the whole thing with enterprise manager grid control also, since we have 12 databases to monitor.

Oh so much is missing from SE. VPD, Segment Compression, cross platform transportable tablespace, too much more to list. Would advise you to really consider what you're going to and evaluate if you will ever need these features. See http://www.oracle.com/database/product_editions.html
    Jeff Hunter