DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-00205:error in identifying controlfile

ORA-00205:error in identifying controlfile

Hi all,

I m a newbie to Oracle. While mounting standby database I am recieving the following error:
    alter database mount standby database

ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-00205: error in identifying controlfile, check alert log for more info.

I checked the alert log file but did not find the cause of this error.
    The control file entries in the standby init.ora are proper. I also checked that these control files are present at the location specified in the standby init.ora.

Please provide some help on this issue. I am not able to find the root cause of the issue. Also suggest, how can this be resolved.

Regards,
    Shardul Banker.

Look at the OS error, accompaining that one. Probably the file is not there

look in the $ORCLE_HOME/dbs folder for the init.ora file and look for the parameter control_files=

This is where the database is expecting to see the control files. Since the error is stating that it can't identify the control file one of 4 things have happened.

1. The init.ora file was altered
    2. The control files were deleted
    3. The control file is corrupted.
    4. The permissions have changed.

The easiest way to fix this is to open up your alert log and see which control file it's complaning about then open your init.ora and look at the control_files parameter, make note of where the database is expecting to see them. Navigate to where that particular control file is suppose to be and see if it's actually there.
    If it is it may either be corrupted or permissions have been changed.

You should have more than one control file, (if you don't then you need to ensure you have more in the future).

If do you have more than one control file and the control file that the database is complaining about not seeing is there, check the permissions. If the permissions are right then try re-name that control file to database.ctl_corrupt and copy (not move) one of the others to the location.

If the control file is not there then copy one of the others to the location and rename it to what the init.ora is calling it, then try firing up the database.

If you only have one control file for the database and it's complaining that it can't find it well then you've got another problem to deal with.

Hope I've expanded on the possible cause. Dealing with control files are pretty much cut and dry.
    Last edited by OracleDoc; 02-08-2007 at 04:28 AM.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Thank you.

I have 3 control files in different oracle locations. As per you have said, I have checked all locations and I found that all control files are missing.

Actually control files are generated on primary side and copied to standby database.

I don't know how those control files missing on standby. What can cause the control files missing. Is there any logs to indicated when and who deleted those control files ?

I want to find the root cause for it and now how can I resolve such problem so that standby database mount and it is in sync with primary side.

Please provide help regarding it.

Regards,
    Shardul Banker

Quote Originally Posted by shardulb
    Thank you.

I have 3 control files in different oracle locations. As per you have said, I have checked all locations and I found that all control files are missing.

Actually control files are generated on primary side and copied to standby database.

I don't know how those control files missing on standby. What can cause the control files missing. Is there any logs to indicated when and who deleted those control files ?

I want to find the root cause for it and now how can I resolve such problem so that standby database mount and it is in sync with primary side.

Please provide help regarding it.

Regards,
    Shardul Banker
    More details. What are you doing? OS? db Version?
    Jeff Hunter