DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OCP worth it or not?

OCP worth it or not?

What's the general consensus out there these days?

I've put off getting OCP for years, and from the standard of OCP DBAs asking dumbass questions on forums I'm not convinced it's worth the paper it's written on.

The only advantages I can think of at the moment will be that I'll be forced to learn ANSI sql and it will probably open up more job opportunities where managers are more worried about it than relevant experience.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Doesn't make you better in any way, but you're right there are some hiring managers who won't even consider you without it. Especially for contract positions.
    Assistance is Futile...

OCP 9, not worth it.

OCP 10, worth it.
    Jeff Hunter

Worth it

If you get your OCP legitimately (as in avoiding dumps, actually doing the exercises and such) you will at a minimum be familiar with Oracle features that seasoned DBAs often miss. As a FTE it may not be so important since you don't have as much to prove, but as a contractor this extra knowledge and credential goes a long way.

If you can get your employer to pay for it then there is no downside. The new class-requirement has unfortunately increased the cost of OCP from $625 (5x $125 tests) to perhaps $2625, so it is less likely to be worth it for an individual to pay for it unless you are going to be a self-employed Oracle consultant.

If you can't afford the classes / tests, it is still a good idea to buy the relevant books and go through them. You'll learn something. Particularly important is the architecture portion as it is key to understanding all sorts of Oracle behaviors and features.

Quote Originally Posted by marist89
    OCP 9, not worth it.

OCP 10, worth it.
    What's the reasoning behind the difference above. Is it simply that 9 will be redundant soon?

probably getting past recruiters who need OCP 10 on there now

Quote Originally Posted by graham_o
    What's the reasoning behind the difference above. Is it simply that 9 will be redundant soon?
    why spend the time and money getting certified on something that will be EOL in a year? It's like getting COBOL certified; who cares?
    Jeff Hunter