DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OID - Tnsnames - alternatives

OID - Tnsnames - alternatives

The company I work for is greedily acquiring other companies - which means we're acquiring databases upon databases. These range from version 7.3 to 10g. There are OAS servers as well as dedicated databases servers.

Currently all our client machines (> 700) have individual tnsnames files pushed out from a central repository when they log in. So we have one big tnsnames file, copied every morning to each client PC.

I was looking at OID and using LDAP authentication but was thinking this is not going to work with the older versions/systems.

Are we stuck with out TNSNAMES method or am I missing something obvious...?

a name server might help you, still works with 10g (i think)

I suppose I should have read up on that first, but my initial reaction was that "it aint gonna work with 10g"! And if it does, maybe not with the next release...

I'll have a look - but in the meanwhile, any other suggestions?

Ta Davey

I was right ...

"Oracle Names is the older centralized naming service, dating back to the Oracle v7 days. It can be used by Oracle v7, v8, 8i, and 9i clients but not by Oracle 10g clients. "

JMac have you used names server in the real life? I have no experience with it, just some experiments and my impressions was not very positive

OID has some client version restrictions, but being able to put all the name resolution in one place (LDAP) is way, way better than distributing a tnsnames.ora file.

Your mileage may vary.

Ken

PS. for server to server resolution, I'd stick to a tnsnames.ora file.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Quote Originally Posted by Bore
    JMac have you used names server in the real life? I have no experience with it, just some experiments and my impressions was not very positive
    No, I've not used it. I've heard good and bad stories about it. But with Dbs ranging from Oracle 7 up to 10g I need the simplest and most fool-proof (given the version incompatabilities) method of controlling the OraNet communications

I'm now looking at a centralised TNSNAMES and using a common Windows environment variable TNS_ADMIN on each client to point to this central file.

Quote Originally Posted by KenEwald
    OID has some client version restrictions, but being able to put all the name resolution in one place (LDAP) is way, way better than distributing a tnsnames.ora file.

Your mileage may vary.

Ken

PS. for server to server resolution, I'd stick to a tnsnames.ora file.
    Agreed Ken. OID looks/is very good. I did use LDAP for a while but we started acquiring older databases as the company expanded and I'm left looking for an alternative solution now.