DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle databases on vmware

Oracle databases on vmware

Hi there,

We are planning to migrate our production databases to a vmware environment using ESX 3.0 servers after we do a thorough test. The sizes of the databases are 60G, 500G and 3TB in size. I would like to know any performance issues with such environment. I am concerned that we will have performance issues on a virtual environment.

which is the memory (RAM) limit of your vmware?

The physical host have 10G of RAM each. We will run multiple virtual machines/servers (vm) on each physical host. I am not sure how many vms we will run on each machine yet, but the database vms will have 5G or more RAM.

and also vmare isnt supported for production environments - you will have a hard time getting any decent level of support out of oracle

According to a document on a metalink website, oracle can support databases on a vmware environment provided that the errors can be reproduced on a physical machine, otherwise they will pass it on to vmware. I wanted to know if anybody have oracle/vmare experience.

I have a customer who runs several development databases in vmware. But NONE in production.