DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What are the steps to recover the control file from a total lose?

Question

I'm wondering how do one recover/recreate the controll file from a total lose?

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hi There,
    I know of a command that can help recreate your control file provided the database instance is still up. It is:

alter database backup controfile to trace

It creates a copy of the backed up copy of the controlfile in the user dump (udump) directory and it will be saved as a trace file.

$ORACLE_HOME/../../admin/database_name/udump

To find the correct trace file, check for the most recent file created in the bdump directory.

Hope this helps,
    Dee.
    God Bless

2 modes to back up your control file, Binary and text

Use "ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROL FILE TO TRACE" for text mode and "ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROL FILE TO /xxx/yyy/zzz/xyz.trc" for binary mode.

I have had to recreate the controlfiles when the online controlfiles were corrupt and I did not have any backup control files. Those were my early days...

There is a CREATE CONTROLFILE command that can be run to recreate lost controlfiles. But you must know where all your datafiles and redologs reside.

The easiest thing to do is to get a backup control file from 'ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE;' and edit it for your lost database. Make sure to include all datafiles and redologs for the database.

Run the backup controlfile command with every backup you do so you wouldn't have to worry about this again.

good luck