DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ASM Topic

ASM Topic

not sure if everyone agreed, but to me ASM is very very scary if you want High Availability b/c if ASM instance going down then Disk group going down and the instance for High Availability will CRASH.

I was wondering if anyone using ASM and is there anything we can do to proect ASM instance?

thanks

yes, thats true, but thats true of every piece of software you have - if it goes down, things stop working

well, so why Oracle had ASM then? To me, that's adding another vulnerable piece of software into your env. Is there any way to protect (no fault tolerance) if the company used ASM for High Availability.

thanks

just start it up if it goes down....as simple as that like all other
    HW & SW
    Behind The Success And Failure Of A Man Is A Woman

Quote Originally Posted by matthew00
    well, so why Oracle had ASM then? To me, that's adding another vulnerable piece of software into your env. Is there any way to protect (no fault tolerance) if the company used ASM for High Availability.

thanks
    well it does the manual balancing of i/o for you across devices - if you want that it might be useful. if you dont - then dont use it.

If you ave a high availability requirement then you are presumably using RAC and you would have an ASM instance on each node