DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: orapwd.exe executable missing from installation?

orapwd.exe executable missing from installation?

I've just installed Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition on a new Windows 2003 server and applied all the security patches etc.

Now I am attempting to duplicate a database using RMAN and the first thing I need to do is create a password file on my new server.

However, I find that the orapwd.exe file is missing from the %ORACLE_HOME%/bin folder. I've tried copying this executable directly from another server to this one but when I try to create a password file it responds:

Unable to find error file %ORACLE_HOME%\RDBMS\opw.msb

Has anyone come across this or know how I can proceed? I would be grateful for a response.

Many thanks.

Chris (appy)

Did you create on iTar on metalink?

are you sure you installed the database software and not the client, if you have missing files the software wasnt installed

gandolf: I've not created an SR yet, no. I thought this might be a common problem someone else had come across.

davey23uk: I'm absolutely positive! Been doing this for 12 years. I have the OEM set up, credentials added, jobs working, nodes discovered, the lot. You couldn't do that on a client!

I'm completely lost here. Yet I seem to remember coming across this before but I can't remember for the life of me how I fixed it.

If anyone knows a fix for this, I'd be very grateful.

Chris

PS. Is orapwd.exe part of the 9i Oracle Enterprise Edition or did it become obsolete in this version?
    Last edited by appy; 11-21-2006 at 06:07 AM.

Ok. Well I think I've figured out what happened now, so no need to rack your collective brains any longer!

Cheers,

Chris

dont keep us in suspense, what was it ...